What is CSIR NET?
CSIR UGC NET (commonly called as CSIR NET) is a national-level exam conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) to select candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and for determining their eligibility for appointment as lecturers in Indian universities and colleges. Candidates clearing CSIR NET exam can become lecturers in the subject areas falling under the faculty of Science & Technology only. Subjects for which CSIR UGC NET is conducted include:
Latest CSIR NET Updates:
- July 6: CSIR UGC application form 2020 correction facility is available now. Candidates can make changes in the details entered in the application form, choice of exam centre and uploaded photograph/signature till July 15.
- July 1: CSIR NET application process 2020 is over now. Candidates could apply online for the exam by June 30. CSIR NET 2020 exam date will be out soon.
- June 15: CSIR NET application date 2020 has been extended for the fourth time to June 30.
- June 3: UGC has invited online information from CSIR NET 2019 minority candidates to shortlist them for Maulana Azad National Fellowship (MANF) 2019-20.
- May 31: CSIR NET 2020 application form submission deadline has been extended again to June 15.
- May 17: CSIR NET 2020 is likely to be held after July.
- May 15: CSIR NET 2020 application process has been extended again till May 31.
- May 13: CSIR NET application form 2020 submission process will end on May 15. The revised CSIR NET exam date will be announced soon.
- May 4: NTA has relaxed the mandatory provision of uploading of certificates/documents other than the photograph and signature.
- March 30: CSIR NET 2020 application last date has been extended by NTA to May 15 due to the prevalent situation of Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- March 16: CSIR NET notification and application form 2020 has been released on March 16.
- Till June 2019, CSIR UGC NET exam was conducted by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). However, from December 2019 onwards CSIR NET is conducted by NTA
CSIR NET Highlights 2020
CSIR NET Eligibility 2020
The basic CSIR UGC NET eligibility criteria that candidates must fulfill are:
- Candidates should obtain a degree in BTech/BE/BPharma/MBBS/BS (4 years)/Integrated BS-MS/MSc with minimum 55 percent marks
- To apply for JRF, candidates should be maximum 28 years in age as on December 1, 2019
- There is no upper age limit to apply for the post of lectureship
Check complete CSIR NET 2020 eligibility criteria.
Important CSIR NET Exam Dates 2020
Check important for CSIR NET 2020 exam dates below:
CSIR NET Exam Date 2020 (Soon)
As the application process is over now, NTA is expected to announce the CSIR NET 2020 exam date soon. Earlier, the exam was scheduled to be held on June 21. However, the exam was postponed due to the emergent situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic.
CSIR NET Application Form 2020 (Over)
CSIR NET 2020 application form submission process got over on June 30 at 5:00 PM. Initially, the last date to apply online for CSIR UGC NET exam was April 15. However, the deadline was extended first to May 15 followed by May 31, June 15 and June 30 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Candidates could apply for the exam in two parts – registration and application. The CSIR NET application fee 2020 was Rs 1,000 for General category, Rs 500 for OBC (on-creamy layer) category and Rs 250 for SC/ST/PwD category. The CSIR NET 2020 notification and application form was released by NTA on March 16.
|Category||CSIR NET Application Fee 2020 (in Rs)|
|Other Backward Class (OBC) – Non-creamy layer||500|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)||250|
|Persons with Disability (PwD)||Nil|
CSIR NET Registration Trends
Check the subject-wise total number of candidates registered and appeared for CSIR NET December 2019 exam below:
CSIR UGC NET Selection Process
CSIR NET selection process includes the following stages:
- CSIR NET application form: All interested and eligible candidates need to fill CSIR NET 2020 application form on the official website of the exam
- CSIR NET admit card: CSIR UGC NET admit card is released for candidates who successfully submit the application form and pay the exam fee. The admit card is released on the official website of the exam.
- CSIR NET exam: Next, candidates need to appear for CSIR UGC NET exam as per the date and time mentioned on the admit card. CSIR NET is typically conducted twice a year in the months of June and December.
- CSIR NET result: The result for CSIR NET is declared on the official website. Candidates qualifying the NET exam then get eligible for JRF or lectureship
CSIR NET Exam Analysis 2019
CSIR NET December 2019 exam for first shift got over at 12:30 PM on December 15. Shiksha reported live from a CSIR NET exam centre in Noida where about 800 students were taking the exam. Most of the candidates that Shiksha spoke to had taken the exam for Life Science, Physical Science and Earth Science papers. CSIR NET difficulty level for the three papers as per students is mentioned below:
|CSIR NET Papers||CSIR NET Difficulty Level for December 2019 Exam|
|Life Sciences||Easy to Moderate|
|Physical Sciences||Easy to Moderate|
|Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean and Planetary Sciences||Moderate to Difficult|
CSIR NET 2020 Exam Day Guidelines
Some of the important points that candidates should keep in mind on the day of the exam are:
Documents to carry: Candidates should not forget to carry the following documents to the allotted exam centre:
- Print out of the CSIR NET admit card
- One passport-size photograph (required to be pasted on the attendance sheet inside the exam hall)
- A valid and original government photo ID (passport/ PAN card/ driving license/ Aadhaar card (with photograph)/ voter ID card/ Aadhaar enrolment number/ ration card)
- Persons with Disability (PwD) certificate, if applicable
Documents/ things not to carry: The following items/ things are prohibited inside the exam centre:
- Any textual or study material (printed or written), docu pen, slide rules, log tables
- Any electronic item such as calculator, electronic watch, mobile, Bluetooth devices, etc
- Eatables or drinks like tea, coffee, cold drink (Note: Candidates with diabetes are allowed to carry eatables like sugar tablets/ fruit and transparent water bottle)
Do’s & don’ts for CSIR NET exam
|Report at the exam centre at least two hours before the commencement of the paper||Do not the leave the examination hall until the duration of the paper is over|
|Read the instructions mentioned on the admit card carefully||Smoking, chewing etc is prohibited in the exam hall|
|Ensure that the CSIR NET question paper available on the computer is as per the NET subject indicated in the admit card||Do not indulge in any unfair practice at the exam centre|
|Reach out to centre superintendent/ invigilator for any technical assistance or other information||Do not forget to carry CSIR NET admit card or any other document to the exam centre|
For Online Correction / Edit Form
Apply Online (Registration)
Important FAQs regarding CSIR NET Exam
Q: How many times is CSIR UGC NET conducted in a year?
A: CSIR UGC NET is conducted twice a year in typically the months of June and December.
Q: How many attempts are allowed for CSIR NET?
A: There is no limitation on the number of attempts that candidates can take for CSIR NET exam.
Q: Is there any age criteria to apply for CSIR NET exam?
A: The age criteria is applicable for candidates applying for JRF only. Candidates should be maximum 28 years in age as on December 1, 2019 in order to eligible for CSIR NET June 2020 exam.
Q: In how many languages is the CSIR NET question paper available?
A: The questions in CSIR NET paper are asked in two languages – Hindi and English.
Q: How much stipend is given to candidates qualifying the exam for JRF?
A: Qualifying candidates are given a stipend of Rs 31,000 per month for the first two years. The stipend is increased to Rs 35,000 for the third and subsequent years if the fellow is registered for Ph.D.
Q: How much is the application fee for CSIR NET exam?
A: CSIR NET 2020 application fee is Rs 1,000 for General category, Rs 500 for OBC-NCL category and Rs 250 for SC/ST category candidates. PwD candidates are exempted from the payment of the application fee.
Q: How many candidates had registered for CSIR NET 2019 exam?
A: Total 2,82,117 candidates had registered for CSIR NET December 2019 exam.
Q: For which subjects is CSIR NET conducted?
A: CSIR NET is conducted for five Science subjects including Chemical Sciences; Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean and Planetary Sciences; Life Sciences; Mathematical Sciences; and Physical Sciences.
Q: How is CSIR NET different from UGC NET?
A: CSIR NET is conducted by NTA to shortlist aspirants for the award of JRF and eligibility of Assistant Professor for Science subjects only. UGC NET is conducted by NTA to select candidates for the award of JRF and eligibility of Assistant Professor for all other subjects (total 81).
Q: How many papers are there in CSIR NET exam?
A: There is only one paper in CSIR NET exam. However, question paper for each subject for which the exam is conducted is different.
Q: When will I get the admit card for CSIR NET exam?
A: CSIR NET 2020 admit card was scheduled to be released on May 15. However, the date is postponed.